Friday, March 23, 2012

Tagore, Ta"bore"

I mean no disrespect to the great literary voices that be, but I cannot take a liking to Tagore. I have tried. I have read, reread, and read again his works as represented in our textbooks and I just cannot have a single attachment to his work. Much of what I struggle with in regards to the poetry of Tagore is his apparent indecision of whether or not to write poetry... or...prose. His writing style feels awkward to me as I I feel like he waivers uncertainly between whether he's writing a poem or stepping over the line into prose. His words are certainly probably mainly poetic, in a sense, but his structure leans strongly to being not.

But then... maybe it is his more relaxed and peaceful approach to things that I do not prefer. Maybe I am drawn to the more compelling passions of the distraught political themes written by the people disturbed by things. Maybe it's the Machiavelli in everyone that I want to see. I tend to be of the thinking that anybody can sit down and write a pretty, flowery, happy piece about...what? I'm really not sure; but it is the job of the writer to write about those things that no one else can or will. Maybe I'm not getting a sense of purpose from Tagore's writing. Maybe I expect too much of writers and poets to convey something that forces me to examine myself and my thoughts and my ideals.  Maybe I just simply don't like his work, and that is ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment