Thursday, May 3, 2012

Measuring Life with Coffee Spoons

I have always been very fond of T.S. Eliot's writing and "The Lovesong of J. Alfred Prufrock" is no exception to my fascination. Particularly ponderous for me are the lines:

Do I dare
Disturb the universe?
In a minute there is time
For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.


For I have known them all already, known them all-
Have known the evenings, mornings, afternoons,
I have measured out my life with coffee spoons;
I know the voices dying with a dying fall
Beneath the music from a farther room.


My interpretation of the entire text of the poem is of an internal monologue of Prufrock with himself. Mimicking a conversation with a separate entity, almost unsure of him self from one side of a circumstance to another. When he considers the fates and the destiny those fates have laid out for humanity, it's easy for the reader to sympathize with his need for persuasion to "dare" to "disturb the universe?" And even when the universe and its fates are disturbed, and even when,  for a minute, it is able to be altered, all it takes is one more minute to undo the previous minutes progress. It's the irony of it all; one step forward, three steps back. Not to mention that it is easier just to let fate have the final word after having spent youth struggling against the burden of attempting to challenge the fates. Ultimately, at Prufrock's age, there were ample occasions to which he could have seized every opportunity imaginable. It's the unspoken, but often acknowledged blessing of youth, and the curse of time against age. Every opportunity has been "known" at one time or another, and after having passed them by, his life can easily be measured in the mundane coffee spoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment