Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Reflection

This term seems to have began and ended in one swift currant. As I reflect on the term, I must acknowledge that this class has, as any good class should do, broadened my "bookworm" horizon, raised my intellectual awareness, and dispelled some of my ignorance. In all honestly, I really am not sure that, before this class, I had ever read any non-Western writings, and I probably never would have. I suppose I had previously ignorantly assumed that because the cultures would be so different from my own, I obviously wouldn't be able to relate to the writings. However, that just illustrates a small-minded and ignorant approach fueling my lack of respect for non-Western writers. While it is true that the cultures vary from one side of the globe to the other, and that is evident in most of the stories, at the core, the same emotions and mental processes that their characters exhibit are the very same as those of Western writers, and as those of my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment